So Eight had told me about this Irish pub downtown that hosts a 5k every thursday, with no entry fees, free food at the end and if you come 10 times you get a free wicking t-shirt! I'm thinking there's NO way they can get away with that so last night I went to check it out. Soandso came down to allegedly just have a fun run because she'd never done one before, but really it was to provide a little moral support because of some heavy stuff I'd been dealing with. In any case, great pub and the story from Eight was totally legit. Must've been about 100 people and apparently it was an off night. I made the mistake of starting early and the guys who looked like goats turned out to not be and I was pretty much left to find my own way. Luckily got passed at a stoplight and this dude was about the same speed. It was really just a group run, no official start, clock, or anything just a lot of good folks out, living healthy and doing something they enjoy. Wouldn't you know it we were next up inline for the food after and they ran out. Ah well. Soandso got The Captain to come down and we went out to a Mexican place that was having a tequila sampling night. Oh, Yes! Free shots of $60 tequila. Perty nice!
The Sea Otter Classic is coming up soon and I think I'll be ready. The real indicator was on Monday and I went down to the gym for a little pickup hoops. I only play about once a year during The Madness so I can't really dribble and can't shoot outside 18 ft, but that's not what wins pickup. The fun never ends when I show up to a court in business socks, some old canvas shorts and a crappy, holey long sleeve shirt. All the kiddies with their super shoes and nylony clown shorts. I always get picked last and always go undefeated. Was able to call an oop on the first play and the guard just looked at me quizzically. I called it again the next time down and he tossed me one about head high; what am I gonna do with that? Only after I followed a miss with a little tip in did I get any real love. The first game I took it easy thinking my lungs wouldn't be able to hack the pace. At the end I realized I wasn't even winded! The next game I went hard; hussle, hussle, hussle and ran the kiddies out the gym. It was gravy from then on and it only got better after the 4th game and I called it a night. I always would finish some ballin to see how high I could get on the rim. Honestly, I haven't touched it in about 5 years. Got all the way up to the palm. After 4 games! Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about getting fit again.
Friday, April 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment