Monday, April 21, 2008

Sun times?

Made it back to CO today. At least it was somewhat warm upon arrival. California gave me a teaser on Thursday; it must've been mid 80's in San Jose. The rest of the weekend only got above 50 if you were out of the wind in the sun. Perfect weather for riding.



In classic Currie/Josh style we showed up for our 9am Friday race at 9am. Unfortunately the time required to get to registration, find out where they went, and then go to the race start left us pretty stranded. I forget what I was doing (most likely on the crapper), but Currie somehow talked our way into the Sport Class 20 miler at 7:30am Saturday. This was a little more than I was prepared to race, but since Currie had never really ridden a tough 20 miles we thought it best to have a chilax day with it. It was mostly fire roads, but where it was technical the sand made it that much more so. I realized real quick I've spent way too much time on the road the last few years. At least I didn't cause any major traffic jams and there were a few! Things were pretty uneventful till at about mile 12 I landed too hard off a jump and snapped my seat right off the post. If it weren't for the saddle bag I would've had a very interesting finish. Yep, it's time for a new ride.




The next obstacle was Currie and some pretty overwhelming leg cramps. Somehow he'd managed to drink all his electrolyte bottle, the rest of my water, and most of another electrolyte drink and still had cramps! The body is a mysterious thing. It really says a lot about how much a little training can do. Next year, we're definitely going to put in a little more time.

Outside of our race the Sea Otter was pretty impressive. Every kind of rider I could ever imagine was there: roadies, downhillers, BMXers, XCers, young, old, clean, dirty, the entire gambit! Every company, website, bike manufacturer, food maker were all there and all were willing to let you try out their stuff. It was pretty sweet. Even Eight may've been impressed. We spent most of Friday and a little time post-race and Sunday at the event, but there's only so much to look at.

Spent the rest of the time chilax'n with the curries. We tried watching "Walk Hard, the Dewey Cox Story," but it was bad enough that we couldn't finish it. Sunday we watched "Juno" and it was just as good as advertised, although different than I expected. As always with the Currie's ate some really good food. The newest Currie wasn't letting Bevo perpare any masterpieces, but on the California Coast it doesn't seem to matter. We hit a little taqueria Friday night and they gave us wild rice instead of some greased up, bleached white rice. Saturday was Thai food. Little Bella Currie was under the weather Sunday, so Bevo sent Currie and I off to this sweet restaurant down in Big Sur for breakfast. We were practically hanging over the ocean and could see forever into the blue. Pretty amazing. I was sad to go, especially knowing I probably won't make it back for a while.

No comments: