Monday, May 26, 2008

Bolder

Euphoria! It's been a long time since I've done a fun run with lots of people. This morning I ran in the Bolder Boulder which is a 10K up in Boulder, CO. Folks east of the Rockies know it, but maybe only a few folks out west have heard of it. It's similar to Blooomsday in Spokane in that more than 50,000 people do it each year! For a race this size I was amazed at the organization. They send folks off in waves every 2 min. with qualifying racers getting to move to the front. The 5k I ran last weekend didn't count so I was stuck in section EE, leaving 22 minutes after the first folks. Like clockwork every two minutes another wave went (this may not sound like a big deal, but for those who've ever done a race like this it's amazing when anything happens when and how it should!) . When we got to go it was smooth sailing for about the first quarter mile, but thereafter it was a constant battle to find the good line through the crowd. The only downer I could find in the race was the lack of community support. If anybody's done Bloomsday they know how most of the course is lined with supporters cheering you on. Maybe it was the early start (7:22 am for me) or that it was a holiday weekend, but I was pretty appalled at how few people were out. In any case, didn't matter I'm running, at least there was a group of belly dancers to gawk at! Even through working the crowd I managed my fastest time in about 5 years: 41:01 officially, averaging a 6:37 mile. For my friends you know how big a part of my life running was before training for the marathon's took their toll. I can't describe how great it feels to be back in the game!

No comments: