Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thanks to my folks

So lately I was feeling a little self-conscious about the color of my teeth and thought using the Gdumbya check for something as superficial as a whitening would totally be right in line with the GOP and their belief that a everything will be ok if you just make the surface pretty. I'd heard about Brightsmile and they were running a special so I had them set me up an appointment with a local dentist. Then I read an article that the whitening works better if you get your teeth cleaned first. I set that up and went yesterday. Firstoff, I haven't been to a dentist since maybe high school. Shocking! I brush daily and have never had any troubles so I just assumed I was fine. So, I'm in the chair and they want a full set of X-rays since I haven't had them in forever and the hygenist keeps tell me my teeth are beautiful. Course the entire time I figure she's buttering me up for something. Long story short; apparently my teeth are awesome and she says that usually they want to see patients every 6 months, but that I could probably go another 5 years using the same logic that if nothing bothers me there's probably not a problem. How cool is that, "Nah, we don't need your business, and it would be silly for you to think otherwise"!

I was still scheduled for the whitening though, which was the whole point. I was a little worried if it'd work because I was on tetracycline when I was a teenager and it was known to stain teeth. Luckily, I found out it will only stain if you're on the drug before the age of 9. Knowing this alone was reason enough to go. Today I'm in there and am surprised to find out that my teeth are only 3 shades away from the whitest I could get! Then they basically tell me it'd be a waste of money to do the brightsmile and I should stick with just some standard peroxide gel stuff! Again they cut themselves out of $300. If I needed to go back I definitely would! In the end I really have to say thanks to my parents. First for the genes to get me the good teeth and second for the pure luck that wherever we moved growing up had flourinated water and we did flouride swishes in school and third for the vibrating toothbrush. Yeah for stocking stuffers!

No comments: