Monday, June 9, 2008

Finally Fruita

I made it out to Fruita, CO this last weekend for a little MTB action. I'd read about this place called 18 Road, or Bookcliffs, just north of Fruita and figured that was a good enough place to start exploring. We pulled in late Friday night, threw up the tent, and after a quick breakfast of blueberry muffins and bananas we were on the trail by 10 - 10:30. We started out the Frontside trail thinking we'd hit Zippity Do Dah for a short loop to start with. I brought one water bottle and my buddy Old'n Pohstie brought a full Camelbak (Oh yes, when I start out telling you what we're leaving with it turns out to be an epic) Well, we somehow missed Zippity and found Western Zippity. At this point we had a choice to either take this or continue on the trail we were on. We'd only been going about 30 min. and decided to carry on the Edge Loop. Long story short; our short loop ended up being about 30 miles. After about 3000 ft of climbing we finally started down some steep single track. At one point we had a 30 ft rappel down a pretty dry waterfall! We weren't lost it was officially part of the trail! Fortunately they had some ropes so we could lower the bikes down. This was all pretty fun, but like I said we only brought water and not much at that. Old'n Pohstie bonked... Hard... had to walk the last few hundred yards. I was pretty spent and managed it all with my one little bottle. Fortunately the weather was amazing and we were able to keep cool enough that dehydration wasn't a real problem. After a quick nap we made it down to Fiesta Guadalajara for dinner. Amazing! Best mexican food I've had in Colorado! Easy. Back to camp, a few beers, shooting stars and we were dead to the world quick like. The stars alone are worth an entire blogpost, but I'll just say they were spectacular. Sunday we stayed closer to camp and hit Chutes and Ladders, and Joe's Ridge. Both extremely fun and short... luckily: my ass was so sore from the long day before I didn't want to be in the saddle too long. That was it. All in all a pretty good weekend. It's getting to be a little discomforting though that whenever Old'n Pohstie and I get out one or both of us ends up in a bad state. Course if it was all seemless there'd be no story to tell!!! I'll get some pics up soon.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Josh-
We were just in Rupert a few days ago visiting. We saw your mom at the store and she said she's read my blog a few times : ) Make sure you call Thurm when you are in town, he's been dying to get outside and fish or hike or something. I'll let him know you'll be in town.
-Natalie