Monday, June 16, 2008

behind the wheel



Some stats for the weekend: 1400 miles and 23 hrs driving. The weekend started Thursday night when Marinera and I drove to Steamboat Springs. Environmentally conscious as we are we carpooled and I got a free bed in a HUGE hotel room. You could've played half-court basketball in this thing! I snuck out the next morning and was on the road by 8:30. A few hours later the Thurminator called and we made plans to hang out that afternoon in Pocatello, ID. I hadn't seen him in over a year where we watched the awesome flick Children of Men. That day happened to be the the day his wife Natalie was due and we're all waiting anxiously. Fortunately, we made it through dinner with no surprises, although we were all looking for a reason to get out. FYI: if you're in Poky and you want Mexican food don't go to The Pilot House. It was real fun hanging out with them, but I'm not sure they were prepared for me being as opinionated as I am. It even surprised me!

The point of the weekend was a surprise visit to my folks place for Father's Day. I finally rolled into the driveway about 10pm. The surprise was totally a surprise! The next day I was tasked with building a few stairs to the top of a lateral, digging a ditch for a sprinkler system and vacuuming the pool. Done and done and done, mostly. One leg of the ditch was going through some pavement like dirt and we decided to wet it down before finishing. The next day the water was still going and I spent so much time playing with Sarama that I never got around to finishing. She took her first dip in over-her-head water, slipping into the pool while I was removing the cover. She did manage to swim to the side and somehow got herself out. The last weekend of the month I'll definitely take her out and teach her to swim. Took the fast way back straight across Wyoming. The only highlight was the Windmills and the gas at $3.89! I can't believe I need to put an exclamation point there.

Lastly, I want to give a shout out to Spring. I read an article today and am really happy she's in the U.S.

No comments: