Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I swear I got more fat just watching TV

Good news first: I hobbled through the half-marathon and almost finished in under 2 hrs. We also got up to 5 free beers after the race! Any beer after a race is blissful (if you haven't tried it I think you're missing out), but I think the microbrew we had would've been good anytime. The calf recovery is going well, but not I'm back into a base phase and will really lift hard through the winter.

Onto obesity. So we don't have cable TV, we do enjoy what Netflix has to offer, but there's no way I'm paying what they're asking and really like that I'm not as much a vegetable as I am when I have TV. When I have TV though, as I do when I stay at hotels, I get a chance to see TV and remind myself how much I hate it. Two things about what I noticed at our most recent stay: the time devoted to commercials has easily doubled since I was last watching and more than half the commercials are devoted to food (we counted). Admittedly, the stations we were watching may've been biased to food commercials, but I was still amazed. Used to be commercials were about 30 seconds long and the break lasted 4-5 commercials. I do remember that near the end of shows, the last commercial break was longer (never counted), but now each break has 10-11 commercials! In the few hours we watched TV no less than 6 food commercials were observed in any one break. With that in mind is there any wonder why the country has an obesity problem. The lack of social responsibility by the media blows me away. I'll hope that someday everyone has the mental fortitude of Currie who uses the commercial break to do pushups and situps. No wonder dude can Plank for over 6 minutes! I'm not talking Planking like somebody supine on a planter in the middle of some green space, I'm talking Ed Viesturs, in your face, with some super core strength planking!

Speaking of outstanding mountaineers, I was checking out Reinhold Messner's facebook the other day and that is just one amazing person. Google Messner Mountain Museum and see all the cool stuff he's doing to try to get folks to appreciate how important, delicate, and amazing alpine environments are.

Lastly, I checked in on The Onion recently after not having done so in a long time. That's some great pseudo news.

Looks like I'm down to just blurbs of interest so it's time to check out. Good luck and stay injury free!

No comments: