Tuesday, August 2, 2011

still kicking

Well, holy crap, it's been almost 2 years since my last post. Luckily I've been busy and just haven't found a lot of time to put anything up here. Being married is great like that, we're always doing stuff. Mostly we've been focusing on getting back into shape. Since doing the Boston Marathon in 2004 (Yeah, that long ago!) I've really struggled from injury to injury and haven't really done much. It got to the point wherer I couldn't run for more than 5 minutes without agonizing pain. As I anybody remembers me without exercising is not a fun person to be around. Early last spring I went to go see a biomechanical specialist who supports the Olympic team to figure out what was wrong and it turns out my right leg was way more dominant than my left and because I used my right one so much it got injured. The solution: hit the weights. A little over a year ago I started after it and by the end of the winter I could lift as much as I ever could. In that time I'd been doing a lot of reading about biomechanics, injuries, and running and thought that the new barefoot running trend might help me even more. Seems that ol'Currie had it right all along; please forgive me for the arrogance and relentless teasing. Long story short: I ran my first half-marathon in 8 years, give or take, a couple weeks ago and just ran a 20 minute 5k for the first time in maybe 3 or 4 years. I should also give some props to P90X and more recently Insanity for helping me get fit again. I think we're on course to do about 20 races this calendar year. It's fun to do the long ones together, but short ones and trail ones we let it rip.

Trips: As is our thing we like to see what there is to see. In the last couple years we've made it to almost half the country, area wise: Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Arizona, Nevada, California, and Utah as often as we can go. Utah is just amazing; each time we go I think I've seen all the coolness it can dish out, but am blown away every time we go somewhere new. We've also been to Europe a couple times and am going again in a couple weeks. My French is pretty bad, but slowly improving. I can follow a conversation if I really pay attention, but usually my brain is fried after about 10 minutes and I zone out. Course, the beer may have something to do with that.

In any case, things are on the up and up and I'm hoping to find more time to put stuff up here.
Peace!

No comments: