Monday, July 7, 2008

The long weekend


The weekend started out Friday with Bobbo, his brother Ripped, a bunch of Ripped's friends and two 14ers, Grays and Torres. The plan was to bag Grays, cross a saddle, and do Torres. Ripped and two of his friends decided to do a more challenging route up Torres first. I would've like to've gone, but it was Sarama's first 14er and I think it would've been too much for her. Bobbo and the ladies decided to take my way, but Sarama and I ended up by ourselves quickly. I was at the summit pretty fast, but had to hang out on top a bit cuz of some pretty bad nausea. This has happened the last few times I've been up high and it's definitely a result of the activity and the food I've eaten or not eaten rather than anything related to altitude. After about a half-hour on top waiting for my stomach to settle down I decided that I'd walk down to the bottom of the saddle between the mountains. Luckily my stomach stopped bothering me by the bottom and I was able to ascend Torres without trouble. Whaddya know as soon as I top out there's Ripped and the fellas just putting their packs down (this is where the video is from. Just a little crowded up there). We got some pics, ate a snack, and then headed down. As you can tell from the pics Sarama had no troubles.
After we got back to town we had a quick nap and the Sailor came to meet us for fireworks. We hiked up Green Mountain and watched things blow up all over the horizon. In my opinion it's the best way to see fireworks on a holiday. The next day the Sailor and I got up early and knocked out a 45 mile bike ride to get ready for the Copper triangle. It was nice and casual and although we were both tired by the end there was still a little gas left in the tank. I think if we keep going at it we should be set by the first weekend of August.
Hobstar came into town that evening and after not eating all day dude inhaled two monstrous burritos. and still had room for more! After this we hit up Applejacks and found some of the Alaskan Smokehouse Porter! A day finished with a pint of that stuff is a good one indeed. The next morning I sent Hobza off and then finally rested. I was pretty beat up from the previous two days, but that's what weekends are for!
I'll try and get out on the rock this week. The finger is feeling better than it has in a long time so I'm pretty amped.

No comments: