Friday, January 4, 2008

Ice climbing and Tacoma

Got out on the ice yesterday for the first time in a couple years. Oldman Winter said he'd be more than willing to belay me as much as I wanted. The day was pretty much the opposite of last time; no wind, no spindrift, and 40-45 degrees. We went up Clear Creek Canyon and top-roped a waterfall that was no more than 40 feet. For those who haven't done ice, it can be a bit intimidating as you don't quite know if what you're climbing is going to stay where it is. As a result the first lap up I flailed hard and fast. Settled down the next, did an overhang the third, and finally remembered I had feet! Physically, I think ice climbing is much easier than rock. Oldman Winter was true to his word and only went up twice while I did about 15 laps total. With the new tools I didn't smack my knuckles once and with the weather was so nice I just wore liner gloves. Pretty sweet day. We'll head out to Silverplume this weekend for something different.

Tacoma. The Tacoma office flew another job opening and this time they're paying for the move. From the job description I think I'm a shoe-in. Given the time lag between closing, selection, inteviews, etc I would expect to be back in the Northwest by mid-summer, if selected. My confidence is pretty high, but the're plenty of superstars out there who'd like to work for the Survey and live in the Northwest. I'm in it to win it now and will definitely have the A-game ready come interview time.