Monday, January 16, 2012

My super soup recipe

Apologies for the post: this one is more for me so that I remember how to make when sooner or later I forget. This soup is pretty much our staple to make sure we get tons of good stuff in our bodies. It may seem like the kitchen sink, but it's pretty tasty. I'll put some guestimates at quantities, but I measure using my hands and caps from my spice jars. Oh, and pretty much everything here is fresh and organic; excepting of course that Keilbasa: just too damn tasty and I'm not overly concerned about hormones in my turkey.
1/2 pound turkey keilbasa sausage (chopped into bite size tasty morsels)
1/2 pound chicken (ditto on the size and tastiness)
1 cup of fresh green beans (sugar snap peas work just as well)
1 cup of carrots (we've also thown in parsnips of late)
1 cup of celery
1/2 an onion (usually red, but I'm not racist)
1 can of small artichoke hearts (diced until I'm satisfied. I've also used cabbage and brussel sprouts)
1 can of white kidney beans
1 can of lentils
3 bay leaves (cuz when you make a vegetable soup it's a must)
1 tbsp Mrs.Dash Garlic & Herb (Lady changed my world)
1 tbsp yellow currie powder
1 tbsp ground corriander
1 tbsp fennel
2 tsp of salt
Sometimes I'll add a bit of parsley or rosemary depending on what I'm jonez'n for.
4 cups of chicken bouillon
4 cups of beef bouillon

Put all into a big-ass pot, bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for an hour (Makes about 4.5 qts.
We experimented with different types of carbs and mostly they just turn goopy in the soup after a while so we usually put our carbs in just before we eat (This amount of soup will last the two of us 3 or 4 days). My personal preference is Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wha according to the Sailor) which you can actually leave in the soup from minute one. A close second is Couscous, preferably made with a blend of grains. Potatoes or wild rice seem to do well, but I'm usually too lazy to bother cooking them. That's it. That's our soup. If anyone tries it I'd love to here suggestions or different variations.

No comments: